Saturday, January 4, 2014

Nerd Girls Unite!

Today has been one big bang, from beginning to end!  I was determined to embrace my pain, put my nerd girl self to work and take back control of my life.  Yes, I slipped up and took a few bites of a Tasty Kake  Cherry Pie with my Starbucks Holiday Blend this morning...okay, I ate the whole pie, inhaled it is actually closer.  With guilt and shame, I continued to work on my blog template, then joined Twitter, Reddit, Linkedin, Instagram and Tumblr.  The coffee deserves all the credit, promise, without it I would have been drooling whilst playing a mind numbing game on Facebook for hours.  Learning to navigate the realms of social media made my inner nerd sing with glee, all the interactions, different connections, how awesome is this?  I've spent my social media time scrolling through Facebook, enjoying pictures of old friends kiddos, reading recipes, laughing at pictures, but not really accomplishing anything.  As my best friend pointed out before Christmas, Facebook actually made her feel bad about herself.  She looked at tons of people taking their kids on expensive trips, shopping day and night, buying 80inch flat screens for their husbands..she felt so inferior she deleted her page for a few days.  So as with any power, social media can hurt us or help us.  Today showed me the choice is up to us, some luck and once again, how incredibly fantastic humans are!

The Twitter Explosion


I quickly picked up on Twitter and loved it, tweeting my heart about my daily struggle in 2014 to wake up my nerd self, put down the diet mountain dew and take back control of my body and my health.  As a baby blogger and tentative author, I outlined several story ideas between tweets and reading Atlas Shrugged, which is a mind opening experience, let me tell you!  Nerd girls love to multitask, we are never happier than when balancing a laptop, iphone and ipad, while jotting notes into 3 separate college ruled notebooks we nipped from our kids school supply stash.  Then I found the "interactions" link on Twitter and my world was just rocked!  Laurell K Hamilton, an author who I've loved since I found her 10 years ago, retweeted me!  Now to those of you old souls in the Twitterverse, that may not seem like a big deal.  But to me?  A nerd girl whose idea of a great time is sipping a Cosmo in bed while devouring book after book over a weekend?  I jumped up, screamed.  Danced around.  Punched my Hubby in the chest and did a Victory Dance around the family room!  My Hubby is trying to tell my the weather is going to be bad  monday, the temp is dropping to 40 below zero, we have to go the grocery.  I screamed all the way to the grocery, danced in the parking lot at Krogers and generally embarrassed my Hubby and 16 year old son all through the store.  40 below zero?  Pfftt.  Laurell K Hamilton retweeted me!  She saw my picture, read my tweet!  The small world I've inhabited this last year of hell just opened up to a vast new universe!  Now that, my friends, is what being a nerd is all about!

Vitamins and Yucky Things That Are Good For You

So while things are going great on my social media front, the battle for my health continued today.  I dutifully took my B12, Calcium, Magnesium and some herbs my Hubby has ordered and researched to try and boost my immune system.  Juniper berries, dried looking seed balls, for my kidneys.  These tiny wood chip appearing herbs called Astragalus to boost the old immune system, those were fun to choke down, kind of like gnawing on a tree, then swallowing.  I did that once when I was 7, I didn't think I'd ever do it again!   Then waxy herbs like Flax Seed Oil and Vitamin E, along with C and D.  Yes, I drank diet dew with them.  I judged myself for it, then figured I really needed the herbs, so I'd handle the guilt of the diet dew slip.  I'm trying people, its a bitch to break old habits! Even for those of us with nerd power.

Motoring off to physical therapy for my knee, I was pleased that I'd done the excercises twice...let me say that again...I'd done the excercises twice since PT yesterday!  Assuming my therapist would give me a gold star or at least a small medal, I walked into therapy with a limp I'm sure will be gone very soon.  As you might guess, no medal appeared, he just added 10 new items to my workout.  Then helped me get through them and iced my knee while on a box over my head so I could drive home with instructions to make sure to do all of the workouts 2-3 times a day.  Sheesh, a nerd girls work is never done!

PT tackled, I added in some Green Machine and Mango Tango to my list for the grocery.  My diet of fast food and quick snacks with  diet dew is just hurting me.  Yes, I have pneumonia and am not at top form, but  obviously full of toxins. Mango Tango is yummy, Green Machine not so much, but it's green. Green food and I don't really get along, but I'm working on changing that.  If only there was a coffee version I could load up milk and sugar, I'd drink that all day long!

If We All Played Throw the Cow, We'd Be Happy...my Furbaby insists this is true!

My Yorkie Furbaby, Scarlett, is battling her own addiction to a giant cow and isn't even trying to stop, much like I was sneaking that cherry pie!  Scarlett has a 3 foot long stuffed cow that my Hubby bought her as a joke, she's barely 3lbs.  Well that Cow is no joke, it's her baby.  You must throw it, in interesting places, so she can retrieve it, over and over...all day.  She has an ultrasonic bark that will break windows if you try and ignore her demands to throw the Cow, so we, as her humans, must obey her commands.   I was trying the new Stilla moisturizer my sister bought me, comparing it with Clinique Moisture Drink on each side of my face, when Cow was drug into the bathroom by her Highness whose barking made the mirror quiver until we resumed the game.  
I still think Clinique works better for me hands down, the Stilla absorbed well, but an hour later the Clinque side was dewy soft, the Stilla not so much.  So I'll stick with the Clinique for now.  My skin get dehydrated very fast, hence the Vitamin E and Flax Seed.  I'll pass the Stilla on to my two teenage girls to see what they think of it.  Meanwhile, I'll keep playing Throw the Cow with Miss Scarlett Sassafrass and who knows?  The game alone could make my skin soft, my Furbaby insists this is true.

Reading is my Nerd Girl passion

I love to read.  I get all tingly when I see the dates of book releases, dressed up for Harry Potter Parties at Books A Million with my kiddos.  My kiddos grew up being pushed in a double stroller through book stores, learned to eat cheerios and sip their juice cups while Nerd Mom browsed from Fantasy to Horror, Occult to Self Help.  When I discovered how much Janet Evonavich made me laugh, I signed up for a weekend of overtime so I could go buy all of her books at once.  A girl at work loaned me the first three Laurell K Hamilton Anita Blake books.  I read all 3 in 2 days, ran out and bough the other 8 I could find and locked myself in my bedroom for the weekend.  My Hubby just smiles when I come flying in from the bookstore, he knows he won't see me for days and respects it.  He does make comments, such as "There's your Mommy, I told you she didn't move to Mars, kids!"   The joy of having a Stay At Home Husband is that I can escape into my head with my books and know my kiddos aren't feeding the cat Fruit Loops and watching True Blood while I'm reading.  He is truly the best man I ever known and my personal hero!

While nerding away on Twitter today, I connected with so many wonderful writers, bloggers and artists.  Several authors have sent me me their books to read, and a couple of them asked me to review it on this blog.  Aaacckkk! Nerd Girl Nirvana!  So I messaged the other authors and offered to review all of their books for them, what Nerd Mom wouldn't?  I have 8 books to read, they're loaded onto my Ipad right now, awaiting me to slip into my yoga pj's and crawl into bed to tackle them all!   Picking up my Ipad, I'm scrolling through the titles loaded into my library and am giddy!  Eight new books, whoo hoo!  I'll post the reviews on my blog after I read each one.  These writers have tolled and struggled to produce works of art, how can I not want to review each gift they've bestowed upon me?

2014...Bring It!

So now, just a few days into the new year, I feel like a nerd girl being reborn into life.  Downton Abbey starts Sunday, Sherlock not long after that.  Grimm is back, whoo hoo!  Stevie Nicks, the Stevie Nicks, will be on American Horror Story Coven  soon as well.  Nerd Girls Unite!  There's books to read, shows to watch, lists to make, projects to undertake and of course,  the great game of Throw the Cow can  be played 24/7 with my little Yorkie Bully Baby, Scarlett!


No comments:

Post a Comment