Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Polar Vortex Challenge

I haven't blogged in a few days, I've been caught up with reading and, of course, the dum dum da, Polar Vortex!  Not being a great fan of the cold, we ran to the store and told all the kiddos to be ready to stay in for a few days.  No running to the mall.  No quick trip to Starbucks for me.  No anything.  We would hibernate as a family, it sounded so good!  Just like the Ingalls' family in "The Big Winter".  How awesome would that be?  Days where my kiddos would be so bored, they'd want to play that game of Monopoly with good old Nerd Mom.  Or a moviefest!  Yeah, the girls would want to watch endless Chick Flick marathons with me while the Hubby hid upstairs in disgust!  It would be just glorious!  
Nope.  None of that happened.  My kiddos scurried off to their individual rooms and had their own alone time.  My boys are big gamers, this was the perfect time for them to blow things up on Playstation.  My girls are different.  One loves opera and history.  The other loves to sing, compose and writes poetry.  Together they can watch Manga til their eyeballs fall out from dryness.  So why this meant my visions of playing Clue at the breakfast nook all night did not come to pass, it did mean that everyone used this time to decompress.  The Hubby cooked giant yummy meals, our popcorn supply dwindled as we caught up on Indie movies and we didn't get cabin fever til day two!

Going Torpid, just a little

My plans to declutter the house couldn't happen with the cold.  Honestly, I could have worked out, but hey, it was really cold...hmmm..outside.  I felt the biological need to stay curled up with a blanket, reading or enjoying creepy movies.  No, I did not lose one bit of weight doing this.  My arms didn't get toned, my belly remained the same size.  Sometimes it's okay to slow down and just chill with the family, as long as I don't fall back in the pattern of doing nothing but that, all the time.  
I was able to devour a few books as well, always the highlight of my weekend.  I'll post the reviews of those later this week.  Each author deserves a well planned, well though out review, so I'll post those soon.

Physical Therapy, Girltalk and Yorkie Bullys

My best friend and I spent alot of time on the phone recently discussing the roles of Mom's.  She's just the opposite of me.  She works on the weekends, goes to school full time during the week, but has the role of primary caregiver.  She cooks, cleans, does homework on top of everything else.  While she launched into a 10 minute rant on how her Hubby acted like she was stabbing him in the throat when she suggested, nicely, that he throw in a load of laundry during a football game, I felt odd.  Really odd.  Yes, I'm sure if my Hubby really thought about it, or more to the point, said it out aloud, it would be nice if I helped more around the house.  So I thought about it, analyzed it.  Then asked my Hubby, again, if it would help him if I helped with the laundry.  He laughed, as always.  It's a snarky laugh when it come to myself and housework, let me tell you.  Hubby reminded me of the disaster the girls and I left in the laundry room the last time he was sick.  Okay, so once again we all know, all of us, that my specialty is not housework.  I'[m domestically challenged, another goal for the new year.  All of the girls I work with love Pinterest.  They pin crafts and recipes while I'm marking book and music release dates in my iphone.  I do like looking at the recipes, which is something I could do without.  It leads to very dark thoughts, of food.

My physical therapy is going well, my limp is getting better, finally.  While in PT yesterday, I was once again amazed at the power of the human body.  While I was doing leg lifts and hamstring stretches, all different types of PT was going on around me.  A man with a shoulder injury was carrying a giant ladder all over the place, with the therapist chasing behind, giving him tip on angles to carry it while his injury recovered.  A teenager with a sports injury with jumping in place, throwing her arms out in circles to get her body ready for softball.  
When I was in college, my favorite class was Anatomy & Physiology.  The intricate way the human body works, the systems that all work together overwhelmed me.  One enymze is low here causes depression there.  Too much of an ion here, high blood pressure there.  It's a dance, everyday, that happens to all of us.  This reminds me that I am, in fact, a nerd.  Given a choice between reading a science or tech article or looking up fun crafts, hands down I'[m going the nerd route.  Oh yeah!

The Yorkie Bully, Miss Scarlett, tells me everyday that I'm a fantastic human.  Those of us that don't fit into society's conventional roles questions that at times.  Am I bad Mom because I'd rather discuss crop circles with the Kiddos than make hand ornaments for the tree?  Is it okay that I tell my daughters I'm going to disown them if they don't make the effort to read all seven Harry Potter books soon?  The doubt doesn't happen often.  I'm blaming this one on the Polar Vortex.

Back to Reality, kind of

My Hubby proclaimed yesterday "Back to Reality" day.  The Kiddos went back to class, I went back to work.  My Hubby went back to running our lives, running the house and managing the zoo that is our lives.  It was nice to decompress this weekend, but he was right! Back to drinking Green Machine for me, making a zillion appointments for doctors and dentists.  So I'm diving into self improvement today.  I have new beauty products to try,new workouts to do and need to put down the bowl of chili and pick up a Lean Cuisine. Did I buy any Lean Cuisine?  Hmmm.. let me ask the Yorkie Bully.  She keeps track of that stuff while I lose myself in a book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment