Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Nerdy Book Reviews

I believe I've mentioned a zillion times that I love to read.  My mother started taking me to the library when I was four years old and I've been in love with books ever since.  I've passed my love of books onto my kiddos as well.  We keep other informed of new series, new authors, old loves.  I hid Flowers In the Attic by V.C. Andrews in my desk at school and read it on the playground.  Harry Potter was a vacation worthy book, I'd be awake for 2 days when one was released.  So let me pass along some reviews of books I've recently read.  

Lust, Money and Murder by Mike Wells

If you're a Sidney Sheldon fan, you won't be able to put this book down!  I've read Book 1, Lust so far, with the other two loaded onto my iPad ready to go.  Lust is a thrill ride from page one. Elaine grew up with a Daddy who doted on her.  Gave her everything she wanted.  This includes letting his marriage unravel over his devotion to his daughter , no love spared for her Mother.  A hardworking, blue collar man, he paid for his daughter's ever growing demands the only way he could, by stealing.  Our heroine is a spoiled, self involved little Diva that you want someone to pick up and spank, until her world falls apart.  She unknowingly places funny money in Daddy's hands, which exposes all of his sins.  After destroying her father, she becomes a force of nature, vowing to right her wrongs. Nothing will stand in her way.  This books is a thriller, a wonderful read!  Head to the itunes bookstore or Amazon and download this book right now!  Just make sure you have some Diet Mountain Dew and snacks ready, you won't be leaving your chair until it's finished!

The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

My youngest son told me about this series.  There's 3 books, Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant. The first books captures you and takes you into a new world.  People live in Factions, based on their personalities.  It's a terrifying concept.  Our main character lives in a Faction where everyone is selfless, wears gray, doesn't look in mirrors.  Her Faction is devoted to volunteer work and humility.  A lifetime of this has made her resentful, restless.  As they get older, these teens undergo testing to determine what faction they should live the rest of their lives in.  Her test doesn't go quite right.   She learns she is something called "Divergent", she fits in nowhere.  This begins her plunging into a new world, a new Faction, with a terrible secret.  Where does she fit in?  What will happen if "They" find out?
The first two books are fantastic.  The third, Allegiant, is perhaps one of the worst books I've ever read.  This author took everything you loved about the characters and destroys them in an uneven, thrown together mash up.  I would say this book should be required reading for every Editor pushing a deadline on an Author trying to create.  This book was obviously thrown together fast, unfinished and with so many plots gone wonky that you want your money back.  So enjoy the first two, but be prepared, there's no happy ending.


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Wow!  This book peeks into the psyche of a couple who's marriage is falling apart.  You think.  At first.  Wait a minute?  Is someone dead?  Nick tells his story, his creepy description of cracking open Amy's skull to decipher what she's thinking should be a huge clue!  This book is nothing like it seems.  It sucks you into it's spell, weaving from Nick's version of events to Amy's super chirpy diary.  Then it twists.  Again.  And Again.  I can't even tell you that much, it would ruin the entire book!  Go get it, right now!  Be ready, the nasty things married people do to one another is taken to the 100th power in this novel!







No comments:

Post a Comment